Thursday, December 02, 2004

More Target-ing (Can you say PR disaster?)

This also from from Hugh Hewitt's site:

Friday, November 26, 2004

Mr. Robert Ulrich
CEO
Target Corporation
1000 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis , MN 55403



Dear Mr. Ulrich:

I am a longtime fan of Target's low prices, convenient locations, great merchandise, and good customer service. We recently moved; settling into a new home requires lots of miscellaneous items “under-the-bed storage boxes, shelves, shower curtains" you can imagine how relieved I was to discover a Target nearby!

Yet I drove past it the other day when I normally would have stopped and shopped. But I will go to other stores, driving and paying more, perhaps, but sleeping better at night.

Youve probably guessed why, but not all of why. In my work, I frequently write about charitable practices of local businesses, most of which contribute primarily to kids' causes because they seem the most deserving. As one gentleman put it, "Adults make their own beds, but kids don't have a choice."

As a reformed alcoholic, I agree, with mixed feelings. Certainly if alcoholism is a disease, it is self-inflicted and self-cured. But having been there myself, I feel it is because alcoholics are so patently unworthy that they merit grace and assistance from charitable hearts.

I recently wrote a small piece about the Salvation Army. The Captain I spoke to was a reformed alcoholic that Salvation Army got back on his feet. From him I learned things about the Salvation Army that I hadn't known.

The Salvation Army way of helping alcoholics is not a touchy-feely, victim-of-a-diseas-talk approach, which in my experiences rarely does much but create crybabies who imagine they're accomplishing something when they whine. The Salvation Army makes its wards understand that they are not victims, that they must take responsibility for the past and present. Neither self-pity nor sloth are tolerated in Salvation Army rehabilitation facilities.

Having been where the Captain and his many fellow warriors had been, his story touched my heart. I always loved the feeling of satisfaction of dropping money into the kettles at Christmas, but I have now become a more serious donor to this wonderful, 140-year-old establishment that helps the lowest of the low, the least of us.

Please, Mr. Ulrich, change the Target policy and allow the Salvation Army to set up its kettles at Target this Christmas season. It is the right thing to do. Besides, I miss shopping at Target. But my conscience won't let me continue to be a Target customer as things stand now.

Very best regards,

J___ A__

No comments: