Thursday, January 19, 2006

Life or Death...which side are we on?

I have written on this subject before, but recent events have brought this issue much closer to where I live. I've always been a fan of Michelle Malkin, and her story here about a little girl named Haliegh is a great example of how quickly we write off people ahead of God's schedule in doing a work in their lives.

Another would be my 84 year-old mom. Her home caught on fire a couple of weeks ago. She wasn't breathing when the firefighters pulled her out. Her Carbon monoxide levels were at about 50% when they wheeled her into the emergency room. After about ten days in ICU, the doctors were not optimistic about her chances of recovery. They actually requested that we have a "DNR" order on file in case her heart or breathing stopped, as they could get no cognitive response from her. At the risk of starting a tent meeting here on this blog, my wife and I always had peace about my mom's situation, up or down, through the Lord Jesus. We weren't going write her life off with a signature on a piece of paper. It was on the same day that we went down to the hospital. Mom had lost the hearing aids and the glasses in the fire. I got down by her ear and essentially yelled at her to wake up and show these people that the lights were on, and somebody was at home. She did. Doctors are amazed, she's in rehab, and we're thankful.

1 comment:

Jared King said...

Well, I'm a firm believer in the power of pray. She had a lot of folks praying for her!!!!